Providing Services to People with Disabilities
Kids’ Stuff…the Family Learning Centre on the Thames is committed to excellence in serving all customers including people with disabilities.
Kids’ Stuff will ensure that our staff are trained and familiar with various assistive devices we have on site that we provide that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods and services.
We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public.
A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises.
Notice of Temporary Disruption
In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to service or facilities for customers with disabilities Kids’ Stuff…the Family Learning Centre on the Thames will notify customers promptly. This clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available. The notice will be placed at relevant Kids’ Stuff service delivery sites.
The notice will be made publicly available (if applicable) at the following locations:
- Kids’ Stuff voice mail
- Local radio station
Kids’ Stuff…the Family Learning Centre on the Thames will provide accessible customer service training to employees, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on our behalf. Training will also be provided to people involved in the development of policies, plans, practices and procedures related to the provision of our services.
Individuals in the following positions will be trained:
- Program Supervisor
- Program Assistants
- Administrative Assistant
Staff will be trained on Accessible Customer Service during their initial orientation and as an annual review.
Training will include:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and requirements of the customer service standard.
- Kids’ Stuff…the Family Learning Centre on the Thames plan related to the customer service standard.
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person.
- How to use the TTY when available.
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing Kids’ Stuff the Family Learning Centre on the Thames services.
- Staff will also be trained when changes are made to the plan.
Customers who wish to provide feedback on the way Kids’ Stuff…the Family Learning Centre on the Thames provides good and services to people with disabilities can provide feedback in the following way(s):
- Via Website
- In writing
All feedback, including complaints, will be handled in the following manner:
- All feedback will be directed to the Executive Director
Customers can expect to hear back in 5 days.
Notice of availability
Kids’ Stuff…the Family Learning Centre on the Thames will notify the public that our documents related to accessible customer service, are available upon request by posting them on our website.
Modifications to this or other policies
Any policy, practice or procedure of Kids’ Stuff…the Family Learning Centre on the Thames that does not respect and promote the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity for people with disabilities will be modified or removed.